17 year old Teenage boy dies after LOVE BITE from girlfriend causing fatal stroke. The Incident took place in Mexico City.
Julio Macias Gonzalez started having convulsions as he sat at the dinner table with his family.
The teenager had spent the evening with his girlfriend.
Paramedics rushed to the family home in Iztapalapa, Mexico City but were unable to save him.
Doctors said the suction from the love bite caused a blood clot that travelled to Julio’s brain causing a stroke.
It is not the first time a love bite, also known as a hickey, has caused a stroke.
In 2011, a 44-year-old woman was left partially paralysed after having a stroke in similar circumstances.
She lost movement in her left arm after the romantic encounter and was driven to hospital.
Doctors in New Zealand could not figure out a cause until they noticed a fading bruise on the right side of her neck – and a damaged major artery underneath.
The suction had caused a blood clot to form which then travelled to the woman’s heart.
Dr Teddy Wu, who treated the woman at Auckland’s Middlemore Hospital, said: “To my knowledge, it’s the first time someone has been hospitalised by a hickey.”
The suction involved during a love bite can cause damage to a major artery in the neck, creating a blood clot that can then travel to the heart and cause a stroke.
The New Zealand woman was treated with warfarin, an anticoagulant, which resulted in the clot disappearing almost entirely within a week.
Strokes have different levels of severity and can cause paralysis and death. Also, Love bites can usually last for anything up to 12 days and the only way to treat them – aside from hiding them under makeup or a polar neck jumper – is to put ice on them to reduce the swelling.